Sunday, September 16, 2007

Asshole Coach

I'm sure that most everyone feels the same way I do when you encounter someone who really hates their job, especially someone in a customer service position. It is so annoying when they let their hatred for their job completely overtake their attitude towards the people that they are supposed to be serving. Coming across someone like this is bad enough when you are trying to order a pizza or after you have pressed "1 for English" and after holding for a half-hour you finally get to speak to someone who has such a crappy attitude that you wish you hadn't wasted your time in the first place. But what really irks me is when you come across a teacher like this.

Bubsy had a CC meet this weekend and they were not given a return time by their coach, so Bubsy said he would call me when they were on their way so I could pick him up at the school. No big deal.

Bubsy's coach has been a real jerk since Day 1 of Jr. High. He has had the attitude that he doesn't enjoy what he is doing and he has constantly taken it out on the boys. Perhaps he is upset that he is stuck coaching CC instead of football. Who knows. None of the boys like him and he doesn't say much of anything unless it is critical. There is no pep talks, no compliments, no anything but a scowl on his face.

After I dropped Bubsy off at the school at 5:30am, I came home and went back to bed because I was totally exhausted. At 10:00 he called and said that they were only a few minutes away from the school. I jumped out of bed, grabbed my keys and took off for the school. I was there 15 minutes later. When I arrived, Bubsy was sitting on the sidewalk. Everyone else had been picked up and it was only Bubsy and the crabby coach who were left. When I pulled up the coach gave me a look that could ice a volcano. I'm like, "what the hell?"

When Bubsy got in the car, I asked him how long it how long it had been since everyone else had left. He said it had been quite a while. I'm thinking "what am I missing here? I came as soon as he called". Bizarre. Then Bubsy tells me that the coach was really upset that he had to sit and wait until I arrived. He told Bubsy to call me and tell me to "hurry up" because he was tired of waiting. WHAT???

Apparently, Bubsy didn't realize how close they were to the school when he called, so I didn't get the heads up as soon as the other parents, which is why it took me longer to get there. Not to mention the fact that we live the farthest far from the school, so I was probably going to be one of the last to get there anyway. Honestly, the coach should have told everyone to call their parents when they were about 10 miles from the school, but NO, he left it up to the kids (honestly, do you really think a bus full of Junior High boys are paying ANY attention to where they are at or anything that is going on outside the bus?). Then he wanted to complain that not everyone was picked up as expediently as he would have liked and then wanted to take his frustration out on MY son and make him feel like he had losers for parents. I WAS PISSED OFF!!!

Being a coach is an important job that involves being a mentor, a leader, a teacher, a cheerleader, a spirit lifter, a confidence builder, and a protector. This guy is NONE of those things. He sits on his fat ass on the side instead of running with the boys, he criticizes, he NEVER gives compliments, he berates the kids (and their parents), and he makes them feel like inferior. I think this asshole needs to find another job that has NOTHING to do with children.

No comments: